Documenting China’s Urbanization
The Program documents China’s urbanization process. Our researchers provide data and analysis to answer a range of questions such as:
- How quickly are urban areas in China growing?
- What are the socioeconomic and political factors driving the rapid expansion of China’s urban areas?
- How has the urbanization process in China changed over time?
- How has the Chinese government responded to calls for more sustainable models of development? How has rapid urbanization affected China’s rural areas?
In addition, we conduct rigid research on the specification of global implications of Chinese urbanization by answering questions such as:
- What are the impacts of urbanization on China’s environment and ecosystems?
- What are the implications for global environmental health?
- How will China secure the energy and natural resources it needs to sustain extensive urbanization?
- How can the Chinese experience inform planning in other countries?
- How does the Chinese urban experience fit within prevailing theories of modernization and international development?
- How does it force the reformulation of those theories?